藝術的種類有很多, 油畫, 雕塑, 攝影, 編織, 數之不盡。對於花時間花眼力花耐心的藝術我一直抱予崇拜的心態, 而在中國文化中非常重要的剪紙藝術我也一直非常的喜愛。現在有非常多有名的紙雕藝術家, 但你有沒有聽過所謂的葉雕藝術家呢? 七月時在Laughing Squid看到了Lorenzo Durán不斷更新的葉雕系列, Naturayarte, 我非常喜愛, 也很開心Lorenzo願意接受我小小的採訪, 讀者們請享用！
There are numerous types of creative medium, oil paining, sculpture, photography, knitting, countless. I always hold great admiration for the creative types that require serious time, patience and eyesight. One of the most important Chinese arts, the paper cutting, has always been one of my absolute favorites. There are many well-known paper sculpting artists nowadays, but have you ever heard a leaf cutting artist? Back in July I discovered Lorenzo Durán's ever-evolving leaf-cutting series, Naturayarte, through Laughing Squid. They really caught my attention and I am grateful for Lorenzo to agree to my short interview of his work process, readers, enjoy!
*Special thanks to Lorenzo's lovely wife for helping us with the English translation.
1. 你是在哪裡出生, 現在又住在哪裡呢? 我出生在西班牙位於埃斯特雷馬杜拉的卡塞雷斯，現在定居在瓜達拉哈拉(在西班牙位離馬德里約60公里遠的城市)。
1. Where are you from and where do you live? I was born in Cáceres, Extremadura, Spain. Now I live in Guadalajara, Spain.
2. 是什麼啓發了你對葉雕的興趣呢? 我一直都非常喜愛剪紙藝術, 特別是來自中國, 日本, 德國及瑞士的紙雕。不過對葉雕發生興趣是這樣的, 有一天我在花園時看到一隻毛毛蟲在細細的啃著葉子, 看著看著我就有了一個想法, 如果我把剪紙的技巧用在樹葉上會有什麼樣的結果呢? 有了這個想法之後我就開始積極的蒐集資料及練習。靈感可以來自任何地方而真正啓發我投入葉雕生活的就是當初那一隻小小的昆蟲。我誠心認為如果大家能好好的看看大自然就會發現很多意想不到的答案。
2. What inspired you to get into leaf cutting? I have always enjoyed the art of paper cutting, especially the ones made in China, Japan, Germany and Switzerland. But the initial thought about leaf cutting was by chance. One day, while I was in the garden, I saw a caterpillar slowly munching on a leaf, at that time, I wondered what would happen if I applied the paper cutting techniques to leaves. After this initial thought, I started some serious practicing and researching. Inspirations may come from anywhere and in my case the real motivation came from that tiny insect. I believe if you take close looks at nature you may find many answers.
3. 通常都是怎麼開始一個新的葉雕的呢? 你會以葉子的形狀來決定要怎麼雕塑還是心中打好草稿後才去收集葉子呢？ 通常我會把我覺得漂亮或是適合做葉雕的葉子通通撿起, 然後在腦中想像可能會很適合這些葉子的圖案，畫在紙上, 畫好後再把圖案放在葉子上進行雕刻。不過有時候我也反方向操作, 先想好我希望能雕出的感覺再去收集葉子。
3. How do you usually start a new piece? Do the leaf shapes determine your project or do you have a mental plan before collecting the leaves? Usually, I pick up all the leaves that I find attractive and suitable for cutting. After that I would visualize an image for the leaf I'm working with. When I have the idea that I think would work, I would draw it on a piece of paper and then fix the drawing on top of the leaf to start the cutting. Sometimes I would go about this the other way around; I would have some mental plans before heading out to the woods for leaf collection.
4. 做葉雕最重要的工具是什麼呢? 我只有用幾個很簡單的工具。其中最重要的有兩個, 第一個也是最重要的一個就是一把很利的雕刀。另一個少不了的是壓平葉子的工具，這個工具讓所有葉雕用的葉子又平又順。
4. What are the most important tools to work with leaf cutting? I work with a couple of simple tools. There are two of them that are extremely important. The first the foremost is a a scalpel with good edge. The other vital element in my work is the leaf press, which helps achieve the flatness I look for in each leaf.
5. 做葉雕最困難的地方是什麼? 最困難的地方是當我在雕一些幾何圖案時, 因為有些線條非常的細所以常常不小心在快完成前就一用錯力就斷掉。我現在在嘗試的新葉雕也有很大的難度, 我希望能雕出人的臉及五官。而我真心的認為葉雕有很多不同的可能性也是一門還未開發的藝術。
5. What are the most difficult things in working with leaf cutting? The most difficult thing for me is to work on some geometric motives, some of the lines can be so thin that any sudden move could make them break in the last minute. I am also now trying a new project that's difficult, which is carving human faces on the leaves. I must also say that there are so many possibilities in leaf cutting and I believe it is an artistic field yet to be explored.
6. 除了葉雕外, 平常還有沒有做任何其他有趣的東西呢? 我很喜歡畫油畫, 雕塑還有畫插畫。事實上我覺得我算是一個不得志的卡通畫家(大部分畫漫畫)。
6. Besides these intricate art work, what else do you do for fun and for inspiration? I like painting, sculpture and illustration; actually I consider myself a frustrated cartoonist (mainly of comics).
7. 葉雕對你來說是...? 首先我覺得我真的非常幸運能做我最喜歡的事情。再來就是我經由這個Naturayarte系列學到很多和人有關的事, 絕大部份是關於怎麼信任人。每天我都以愉悅的心情來期待我的"買家"告訴我他們認為這些作品價值多少錢。每一次的經驗都讓我學到關於自己關於人, 這是從中得來的好處。
7. What is leaf cutting to you? First and foremost, I feel very lucky because I am doing something I really like. On the other hand, I am learning a lot from people with my project Naturayarte, to trust above all things. I keep a happy and open mind everyday with the idea of asking the “buyers” to name their price on my work. All of these experiences push me to learn about myself and about people which is a beautiful gain.